On this trip, we traveled to Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, and Laos. When we finished our travels in the region, we had each family member make a top 15 list (because we had so many great experiences, we couldn’t limit ourselves to just 10).
We did not include experiences from our last visit to Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam three years ago. If we had, our lists would have likely included Ha Long Bay, Angkok Wat, and playing with tigers at Tiger Kingdom. We also excluded food because we ate so much delicious food that great eating experiences deserve their own list.
Here are my top 15 experiences in southeast Asia (in chronological order):
1. The Super Trees in Singapore
2. Walking with Solomon the orangutan at Sepilock Rehabilitation Center in Borneo
3. Georgetown Street Art in Penang, Malaysia
4. Weaving with Grandma in Mae La Oop, Thailand
5. Feeding Swimming Monkeys near Amphawa, Thailand
6. Swimming in Erawan Falls near Kanchaburi, Thailand
7. Getting invited in out of the rain in Don Khon, Laos
8. Ziplining in Vang Vieng, Laos
9. Elephant riding and bathing in Pai, Thailand
10. Caving at Tham Lod in Thailand
11. Seeing the Sea of Clouds in Soppong, Thailand
12. Yi Peng in Chiang Mai
13. Art in Paradise in Chiang Mai
14. Staying on Khlong Jark Beach in Koh Lanta, Thailand
15. Swimming with bioluminescent plankton near Krabi, Thailand
Many experiences on my list made everyone’s list. The most popular were Yi Peng, swimming with bioluminescent plankton, Tham Lod, Erawan Falls, and elephants. Other favorites were kayaking through the water cave in Vang Vieng, Laos; the White Temple in Chiang Rai, Thailand; and bamboo dancing in Mae Chaem, Thailand.
We had an amazing time during our 6 months in Southeast Asia.